Skip to main content

kids

Lilian Pearl will be 3 weeks old this Thursday. It's already going by so fast, so much faster than it did with Madeleine. It seemed like everyday was an eternity when Maddie was this old.

We've been home for a week. Our train trip from Beijing to Xi'an couldn't have gone any better. We all slept well and got home without any problems. My parents, sister and nieces came up from Wuhan last Wednesday. They are all back at their homes now. We had a great time hanging out here in Xi'an and they got to do a lot of fun stuff and we did it almost all together! Again, it's amazing how differently we function with our second child. I could barely get it together with Maddie at this point and with Lilian we went out to dinner several times as a family and pretty much just did whatever we wanted. She's a pretty easy baby as far as babies go.

Now, we're trying to figure out how life works with 2 kids. Madeleine is figuring it out very well. She has her moments of being teary when I can't give her what she wants right when she wants it because of Lilian but those times are getting less frequent. And Madeleine LOVES her little sister. We often here her telling Lilian, "It's okay, Lilian (Wiwian). It's okay" and "Wiwian, I'll be right back."

Madeleine also refers to her as, "My Lilian" and "My baby". It's very sweet.

Phil starts back to school this Wednesday and I plan on starting back in 2 weeks. I hope that will give me time to get Lilian well established in a routine of eating and napping and I'll get some milk stored up in the freezer for the times while I'm gone. I really don't want to leave her but it's going to happen. I'll be taking 6 hours a week - 2 hours, 3 days a week.

I'm enjoying our home but I miss the location of our old place. I miss having friends so close by and I know Madeleine does, too. Thankfully, it's only a short taxi ride away.

Popular posts from this blog

to Madeleine

So it's here. It's September 1, 2010. Madeleine Diane Steiner, the girl that made me a mom, is going to kindergarten. She's 4 years and 10 months old. Why does my heart ache and my eyes well up with tears? Madeleine is showing signs of growing up and somehow that feels sad. Who knows all the reasons why but I safely assume I'm not the first mom to have these feelings. And I assume I'll feel them many times again. I have all these hopes and fears for her today. I hope she makes friends. I fear that she'll be lonely. I hope she loves to learn. I fear that she'll be overwhelmed with the Chinese language. I hope she gets the best education we can offer her. I fear that I'll too soon be writing about her first day of middle school, high school, college. Yet, in these hopes and fears I have this knowledge that this is all right. This is good. This is how it should be. She is meant to grow up, meant to move in to a stage of life where challenge...

bakery

This morning I got up around 5:30am. I'm leading a study tonight at a friend's house and so I've had time to this morning to think over what I want to share with my sisters. Our weather cooled off yesterday and this morning it's still cool and the crickets sound so lovely. Something about this morning has reminded me of working at My Favorite Muffin in Clarkesville. I had to get up around 5:30am back then so I could be at the shop at 6am. We opened at 6:30. I was never the only one on the road but it always felt peaceful and fresh driving to the bakery. The baker was always at the shop before me. He would get there around 5am to start the days baking. I really loved that job. It was so simple and predictable but it was just a great job. The sun is just coming up here and it looks like a nice day is coming. This is our last full day with the Littletons here. They'll leave tomorrow night for their flights back to Thailand. I'll miss them.
It's simply  the break in the clouds the huff up the mountain the cover of yellow leaves the toast of the sun that brings the swell of the spirit.