Skip to main content

good news

So it seems that Madeleine has stopped sucking her thumb. Last night was the 1st night we forgot to put the bitter on her thumb but it looked like she had fallen asleep without her thumb in her mouth. She had been reminding us to paint on the bitter if we forgot.

Lily no longer uses a pacifier. That was SO much easier than the thumb sucking. The big draw back has been that Lily doesn't like afternoon naps anymore. It started as soon as she didn't have her pacifier. So everyday we have this battle to get her to nap. Sometimes we win and sometimes she does. At night she has no problem sleeping.

Yesterday the 4 of us went shopping at Decathlon and IKEA. We needed some winter clothes for the girls because we're going to Kangding next week for 4 days. It's in the mountains. Phil will drive. It takes about 7 hrs to drive there but may take us longer with potty breaks and other stops along the way. Kangding has a strong Tibetan influence. It looks beautiful. We're staying at a hostel that also looks really nice. We've heard lots of good things about it.

We got new plates at IKEA and coffee. We also ate supper there. It's so great having both these stores in our city. It was so fun getting new plates. Phil and I are really careful about buying things we need rather than just want. Of course, we buy things we just want sometimes but at IKEA it takes major self-control to only buy what you need! I'd love a shopping spree there. But we really needed new plates and at IKEA there most basic plates are 2.90 RMB (.43 cents). Crazy.

October 1st is China's National Day. It's a big holiday here so most folks have up to 7 days off. The office is closed all next week. That's why we have our trip next week and lots and lots of time to all be together. Makes me happy.

Popular posts from this blog

to Madeleine

So it's here. It's September 1, 2010. Madeleine Diane Steiner, the girl that made me a mom, is going to kindergarten. She's 4 years and 10 months old. Why does my heart ache and my eyes well up with tears? Madeleine is showing signs of growing up and somehow that feels sad. Who knows all the reasons why but I safely assume I'm not the first mom to have these feelings. And I assume I'll feel them many times again. I have all these hopes and fears for her today. I hope she makes friends. I fear that she'll be lonely. I hope she loves to learn. I fear that she'll be overwhelmed with the Chinese language. I hope she gets the best education we can offer her. I fear that I'll too soon be writing about her first day of middle school, high school, college. Yet, in these hopes and fears I have this knowledge that this is all right. This is good. This is how it should be. She is meant to grow up, meant to move in to a stage of life where challenge...

bakery

This morning I got up around 5:30am. I'm leading a study tonight at a friend's house and so I've had time to this morning to think over what I want to share with my sisters. Our weather cooled off yesterday and this morning it's still cool and the crickets sound so lovely. Something about this morning has reminded me of working at My Favorite Muffin in Clarkesville. I had to get up around 5:30am back then so I could be at the shop at 6am. We opened at 6:30. I was never the only one on the road but it always felt peaceful and fresh driving to the bakery. The baker was always at the shop before me. He would get there around 5am to start the days baking. I really loved that job. It was so simple and predictable but it was just a great job. The sun is just coming up here and it looks like a nice day is coming. This is our last full day with the Littletons here. They'll leave tomorrow night for their flights back to Thailand. I'll miss them.

going to the Mellen Center

I am so glad that I'm saved. I love having a Savior that gets me. A Savior that holds me and carries me and walks with me and cheers for me. A Savior that doesn't care that I'm weak and tired and so inclined to doubt but instead he gets excited in my weakness because then he can be best understood. I also love that he doesn't want me to be weak. So he gives me strength. I remember the first time Phil told me that he loved me. I felt shocked and astounded. That this guy that I thought was so awesome, loved me. And he told me! He didn't have to. He just couldn't help it. He loved me so much that he just had to let me know. And then there's my Savior. Jesus. He loves me. He loves me so much that he just had to tell me. He didn't have to love me but he does and he told me. He told me this morning, too. He keeps telling me over and over how much he loves me. Jesus loves me. I'm astounded.