Skip to main content

2 hour sunday

Well this Sunday has proved to be much better than last. Last week we stayed for an hour and 10 mins. of the service and had to leave. Maddie just couldn't take anymore. She proved it by screaming for the entire taxi ride home from church. This week she made it all 2+ hours plus went out to eat afterwards. She wasn't very happy during lunch but she did very well. She fell asleep on my shoulder during the ride home and is still asleep (going on 2 hours now). There are rewards for putting up with a fussy baby long enough!

Towards the end of service Maddie started making hen duo xiao pengyou (many little friends). I guess the children's services let out before ours did so several kids came into the adult service. They were all playing in the back where Maddie and I had drifted back to. Maddie loved it. She was cruising around the pews trying to keep up with one particular little girl that had given her a cookie. At one point I was talking to a young lady and while I was watching Maddie I wasn't totally paying attention to her and she "walked" several pews up and started down the pew towards a man's Book that was lying there. She had almost worked herself behind the man (he was standing up) and to the Book before I got to her. He loved it.

Lunch was at a soup shop. Good stuff. The rest of our afternoon has been napping so far. Peter is supposed to come over sometime today. It should be good to see him. Maddie and I will slip out at some point to get a few groceries and some dishes. I only have 3 borrowed rice bowls and 3 borrowed plates. I need more plus some serving dishes and a good utensil for cooking in the wok. I saw a few dish shops the other day down an alley we found so I'll probably go there to look.

Popular posts from this blog

to Madeleine

So it's here. It's September 1, 2010. Madeleine Diane Steiner, the girl that made me a mom, is going to kindergarten. She's 4 years and 10 months old. Why does my heart ache and my eyes well up with tears? Madeleine is showing signs of growing up and somehow that feels sad. Who knows all the reasons why but I safely assume I'm not the first mom to have these feelings. And I assume I'll feel them many times again. I have all these hopes and fears for her today. I hope she makes friends. I fear that she'll be lonely. I hope she loves to learn. I fear that she'll be overwhelmed with the Chinese language. I hope she gets the best education we can offer her. I fear that I'll too soon be writing about her first day of middle school, high school, college. Yet, in these hopes and fears I have this knowledge that this is all right. This is good. This is how it should be. She is meant to grow up, meant to move in to a stage of life where challenge...

bakery

This morning I got up around 5:30am. I'm leading a study tonight at a friend's house and so I've had time to this morning to think over what I want to share with my sisters. Our weather cooled off yesterday and this morning it's still cool and the crickets sound so lovely. Something about this morning has reminded me of working at My Favorite Muffin in Clarkesville. I had to get up around 5:30am back then so I could be at the shop at 6am. We opened at 6:30. I was never the only one on the road but it always felt peaceful and fresh driving to the bakery. The baker was always at the shop before me. He would get there around 5am to start the days baking. I really loved that job. It was so simple and predictable but it was just a great job. The sun is just coming up here and it looks like a nice day is coming. This is our last full day with the Littletons here. They'll leave tomorrow night for their flights back to Thailand. I'll miss them.

going to the Mellen Center

I am so glad that I'm saved. I love having a Savior that gets me. A Savior that holds me and carries me and walks with me and cheers for me. A Savior that doesn't care that I'm weak and tired and so inclined to doubt but instead he gets excited in my weakness because then he can be best understood. I also love that he doesn't want me to be weak. So he gives me strength. I remember the first time Phil told me that he loved me. I felt shocked and astounded. That this guy that I thought was so awesome, loved me. And he told me! He didn't have to. He just couldn't help it. He loved me so much that he just had to let me know. And then there's my Savior. Jesus. He loves me. He loves me so much that he just had to tell me. He didn't have to love me but he does and he told me. He told me this morning, too. He keeps telling me over and over how much he loves me. Jesus loves me. I'm astounded.