Skip to main content

A needed outlet

I've struggled in this current move more than I anticipated. It's so different having a baby with us. I knew in my mind that it would be harder but there was no way to know exactly what that would mean. I've been reading other people's thoughts and thought it might help me to share my own.

I'd like to use this space to share good and bad stuff. All just put out there to be processed by myself and others. Mainly myself.

Today started off rough. I was excited to take Maddie to feed the fish that live in a man-made stream in the complex. We left with Phil as he headed to the office and we had our bag of bread. There were 3 other Chinese ladies and 2 kids already at the stream feeding fish. How nice I thought. Right away I regreted being there. All 3 ladies couldn't stop talking about how poorly Maddie was dressed. She had on a t-shirt and pants. I had actually forgotten about socks but it was a nice morning so no big deal. I don't know what they kept saying about the grass and Maddie standing in it but they went on and on. I mean they were all sitting on it! I can understand if it was wet (pee?) or cold but it wasn't.

I finally just left. I was tired of the scolding and just wanted to be alone. So that started off the morning. I'm trying to get thicker skin. I can already imagine that this will be a long struggle. I already worry about how to dress Maddie because it's either dress her how I want and put up with the comments or dress her warmer than I think is necessary and have peace.

The rest of the day has been better. I've spent more time playing with Maddie. She's very fussy today and so I thought it might help if we spent more time together. I think it has. The toughest days are when she keeps fussing and I can't figure out how to help her. Is she hungry? No, won't eat. Is she thirsty? Maybe but keeps fussing. Does she just want to be held? But how do I get other stuff done?

I had to smack her hand today because she kept playing with a lamp cord. Phil and I had originally said we wouldn't hit to punish. But now we can't see any other way to get her to stop doing something that could really hurt her ( like biting through an electric cord). So I had to smack her little hand today. She waved her hands like she wanted to smack me back. Was that for real? Could she already comprehend hitting to stop something? So that made me feel bad.

We're going to Terri's house for supper tonight. I'm looking forward to the change of pace. Mandy (former student who know goes to college here) is coming over tomorrow afternoon and staying for supper. That should be fun.

Enough for now.

Popular posts from this blog

to Madeleine

So it's here. It's September 1, 2010. Madeleine Diane Steiner, the girl that made me a mom, is going to kindergarten. She's 4 years and 10 months old. Why does my heart ache and my eyes well up with tears? Madeleine is showing signs of growing up and somehow that feels sad. Who knows all the reasons why but I safely assume I'm not the first mom to have these feelings. And I assume I'll feel them many times again. I have all these hopes and fears for her today. I hope she makes friends. I fear that she'll be lonely. I hope she loves to learn. I fear that she'll be overwhelmed with the Chinese language. I hope she gets the best education we can offer her. I fear that I'll too soon be writing about her first day of middle school, high school, college. Yet, in these hopes and fears I have this knowledge that this is all right. This is good. This is how it should be. She is meant to grow up, meant to move in to a stage of life where challenge...

bakery

This morning I got up around 5:30am. I'm leading a study tonight at a friend's house and so I've had time to this morning to think over what I want to share with my sisters. Our weather cooled off yesterday and this morning it's still cool and the crickets sound so lovely. Something about this morning has reminded me of working at My Favorite Muffin in Clarkesville. I had to get up around 5:30am back then so I could be at the shop at 6am. We opened at 6:30. I was never the only one on the road but it always felt peaceful and fresh driving to the bakery. The baker was always at the shop before me. He would get there around 5am to start the days baking. I really loved that job. It was so simple and predictable but it was just a great job. The sun is just coming up here and it looks like a nice day is coming. This is our last full day with the Littletons here. They'll leave tomorrow night for their flights back to Thailand. I'll miss them.

going to the Mellen Center

I am so glad that I'm saved. I love having a Savior that gets me. A Savior that holds me and carries me and walks with me and cheers for me. A Savior that doesn't care that I'm weak and tired and so inclined to doubt but instead he gets excited in my weakness because then he can be best understood. I also love that he doesn't want me to be weak. So he gives me strength. I remember the first time Phil told me that he loved me. I felt shocked and astounded. That this guy that I thought was so awesome, loved me. And he told me! He didn't have to. He just couldn't help it. He loved me so much that he just had to let me know. And then there's my Savior. Jesus. He loves me. He loves me so much that he just had to tell me. He didn't have to love me but he does and he told me. He told me this morning, too. He keeps telling me over and over how much he loves me. Jesus loves me. I'm astounded.