Skip to main content

early riser

Sukey and I were up together at 4am this morning for an unneeded bathroom trip. She was crying and so I got dressed and took her out. Instead of immediately squatting and going she started playing. I was so mad. We came back inside and sure enough, she had wet her bed. After eating she went back to bed and slept till 5:30am. 5:30 I can deal with but 4am I can not.

So there's a pot of coffee brewing to help me through the morning. Sukey's happily chewing on a rawhide shaped shoe unaware of the way she's affected my day.

Phil and I are going to be adding a new book to our current school curriculum. We're both in book 4 (there are 5). After the 5th those who care can go on to study specialized language for a specific field of work. We're both ready to start adding "special" language to our learning and we got permission to do so. The first book in the series of special language books is simple but it only has characters, no pinyin. I can go at my own pace and if I don't know enough of the characters I can stop for awhile and start again when I learn more. The new language will really help me at fellowship times.

Yesterday evening Sheila (language coach) joined us for dinner. She recorded our supper conversation which was almost all in Chinese. She'll listen to it at home and then talk to us about issues she sees with our progress, pronunciation, etc. It was fun and encouraging.

Okay, off to get my lost hours of sleep in a mug.

Popular posts from this blog

to Madeleine

So it's here. It's September 1, 2010. Madeleine Diane Steiner, the girl that made me a mom, is going to kindergarten. She's 4 years and 10 months old. Why does my heart ache and my eyes well up with tears? Madeleine is showing signs of growing up and somehow that feels sad. Who knows all the reasons why but I safely assume I'm not the first mom to have these feelings. And I assume I'll feel them many times again. I have all these hopes and fears for her today. I hope she makes friends. I fear that she'll be lonely. I hope she loves to learn. I fear that she'll be overwhelmed with the Chinese language. I hope she gets the best education we can offer her. I fear that I'll too soon be writing about her first day of middle school, high school, college. Yet, in these hopes and fears I have this knowledge that this is all right. This is good. This is how it should be. She is meant to grow up, meant to move in to a stage of life where challenge...

bakery

This morning I got up around 5:30am. I'm leading a study tonight at a friend's house and so I've had time to this morning to think over what I want to share with my sisters. Our weather cooled off yesterday and this morning it's still cool and the crickets sound so lovely. Something about this morning has reminded me of working at My Favorite Muffin in Clarkesville. I had to get up around 5:30am back then so I could be at the shop at 6am. We opened at 6:30. I was never the only one on the road but it always felt peaceful and fresh driving to the bakery. The baker was always at the shop before me. He would get there around 5am to start the days baking. I really loved that job. It was so simple and predictable but it was just a great job. The sun is just coming up here and it looks like a nice day is coming. This is our last full day with the Littletons here. They'll leave tomorrow night for their flights back to Thailand. I'll miss them.

going to the Mellen Center

I am so glad that I'm saved. I love having a Savior that gets me. A Savior that holds me and carries me and walks with me and cheers for me. A Savior that doesn't care that I'm weak and tired and so inclined to doubt but instead he gets excited in my weakness because then he can be best understood. I also love that he doesn't want me to be weak. So he gives me strength. I remember the first time Phil told me that he loved me. I felt shocked and astounded. That this guy that I thought was so awesome, loved me. And he told me! He didn't have to. He just couldn't help it. He loved me so much that he just had to let me know. And then there's my Savior. Jesus. He loves me. He loves me so much that he just had to tell me. He didn't have to love me but he does and he told me. He told me this morning, too. He keeps telling me over and over how much he loves me. Jesus loves me. I'm astounded.