Skip to main content

home again home again jiggety jig

We had a good trip to ChongQing. This is a city that we could possibly move to after language school. So, we took 6 days and visited a company there and saw what they do.

I'm so glad we took Maddie. She was so much fun for the most part. I couldn't believe how well she did with the long bus ride out to the county. It was about 6 hours over some pretty rough roads and she didn't just do well she loved it. On the way out she took a nap pretty sooner after we hit the road. When she woke up she looked out the window and said, "Going, going, going, going, going!" She was so excited to be going!

We had our own small bus for the group so that was very nice in that Maddie had her own seat. Our first 2 days in ChongQing were tough because we were so tired. Maddie refused to take a nap in the hotel and would only nap in moving vehicles. So, the 3 days that we were traveling to the county, in the county, and out of the county she had several naps. Which made that time less stressful because we all got more rest.

I don't really know what to say about the county we visited or what we're thinking about ChongQing because it's not that clear in my mind. We need more time to talk it out between the 2 of us and we haven't had a chance to do this yet. We learned a lot and have a lot to process. This is a big, big decision. As I process more and recover from all the traveling I'll share more. Right now my mind is just tired. And there are so many details and things to share that I just can't start tonight.

I'll just share a story of Maddie for now...in this part of Asia you always take off your shows when you enter a home. This just becomes a habit so when we go to hotels we always take our shoes off right at the door to our room. You especially don't walk on carpet in a hotel room or home with shoes on. The other day we had stopped for lunch at a nice hotel. The lobby was tile flooring but the restaurant was carpeted. When we stepped on the carpet, Maddie immediately started taking her shoes off.

Only a child raised in Asia would think this way at such an early age. For some odd reason, this makes us proud.

Oh, by the way, I can't read any comments that are left on this site. The proxy I use to view blogger won't let me see pictures or comments so if you have a burning desire to tell me something better email it.

Popular posts from this blog

to Madeleine

So it's here. It's September 1, 2010. Madeleine Diane Steiner, the girl that made me a mom, is going to kindergarten. She's 4 years and 10 months old. Why does my heart ache and my eyes well up with tears? Madeleine is showing signs of growing up and somehow that feels sad. Who knows all the reasons why but I safely assume I'm not the first mom to have these feelings. And I assume I'll feel them many times again. I have all these hopes and fears for her today. I hope she makes friends. I fear that she'll be lonely. I hope she loves to learn. I fear that she'll be overwhelmed with the Chinese language. I hope she gets the best education we can offer her. I fear that I'll too soon be writing about her first day of middle school, high school, college. Yet, in these hopes and fears I have this knowledge that this is all right. This is good. This is how it should be. She is meant to grow up, meant to move in to a stage of life where challenge...

bakery

This morning I got up around 5:30am. I'm leading a study tonight at a friend's house and so I've had time to this morning to think over what I want to share with my sisters. Our weather cooled off yesterday and this morning it's still cool and the crickets sound so lovely. Something about this morning has reminded me of working at My Favorite Muffin in Clarkesville. I had to get up around 5:30am back then so I could be at the shop at 6am. We opened at 6:30. I was never the only one on the road but it always felt peaceful and fresh driving to the bakery. The baker was always at the shop before me. He would get there around 5am to start the days baking. I really loved that job. It was so simple and predictable but it was just a great job. The sun is just coming up here and it looks like a nice day is coming. This is our last full day with the Littletons here. They'll leave tomorrow night for their flights back to Thailand. I'll miss them.

going to the Mellen Center

I am so glad that I'm saved. I love having a Savior that gets me. A Savior that holds me and carries me and walks with me and cheers for me. A Savior that doesn't care that I'm weak and tired and so inclined to doubt but instead he gets excited in my weakness because then he can be best understood. I also love that he doesn't want me to be weak. So he gives me strength. I remember the first time Phil told me that he loved me. I felt shocked and astounded. That this guy that I thought was so awesome, loved me. And he told me! He didn't have to. He just couldn't help it. He loved me so much that he just had to let me know. And then there's my Savior. Jesus. He loves me. He loves me so much that he just had to tell me. He didn't have to love me but he does and he told me. He told me this morning, too. He keeps telling me over and over how much he loves me. Jesus loves me. I'm astounded.