Skip to main content

a shangri la christmas

Today is our xmas lunch at the Shangri La. It's a very ritzy place. So much in fact, that I'm leaving school early to get home so I can powder my nose and freshen up. To be frank, I'd much rather eat dinner at the Shangri La. It's decorated beautifully (white lights and tall pointy xmas trees) and it just seems like a place to have a xmas dinner, not lunch. But, no one asked me and I'll take a free lunch any day. Especially, at the Shangri La.

Since, my afternoon will be shot, studying wise, I'm also hoping to buy a treadmill today. I brought up the subject to Phil awhile back but we just haven't gone out and bought one. We looked at a couple stores yesterday and I found a few I liked. I did a bit of research last night and so hopefully I'll be able to get what I want today. I'm saying "I" because this is really my thing. Phil hates running and so I doubt he'll use it much. I started useing a treadmill when I was pregnant with Madeleine and I really liked it. The problem is that I won't have a TV to watch to pass the time. There's no room for a treadmill in the living room so it will be in the computer room. Our computer CD drive is broken so I can't use the computer as a DVD player. I figure for awhile I'll watch Season 3 of The Office since we have that on ITunes. Anyway, I'm excited to get my very own treadmill.

Yesterday after treadmill shopping we went to our favorite Indian Restaurant. Our city now has 3 of them. Isn't that wonderful? It was Madeleine's first time and she liked the nan and chicken. It was delicious.

Since very few restaurants have high-chairs here Madeleine has totally learned how to sit at a table like a little adult. She's so cute and well-behaved now that it's fun to eat out together. When we first got here it was a nightmare. She wouldn't sit, wouldn't eat, wouldn't stop touching everything. She still has her moments but over-all she's amazingly good. Yesterday, was particularly cute because she was doing the head bob and traditional Baliwood shoulder shake to the Indian music. Man, she's great.

Well, I'm off to the wonderful land of Putonghua.

*Disclaimer: I did not ask Blogspot to put ads in my blogs so I'm sorry they're there but since it's a free site, there's not much to do about it.

Popular posts from this blog

to Madeleine

So it's here. It's September 1, 2010. Madeleine Diane Steiner, the girl that made me a mom, is going to kindergarten. She's 4 years and 10 months old. Why does my heart ache and my eyes well up with tears? Madeleine is showing signs of growing up and somehow that feels sad. Who knows all the reasons why but I safely assume I'm not the first mom to have these feelings. And I assume I'll feel them many times again. I have all these hopes and fears for her today. I hope she makes friends. I fear that she'll be lonely. I hope she loves to learn. I fear that she'll be overwhelmed with the Chinese language. I hope she gets the best education we can offer her. I fear that I'll too soon be writing about her first day of middle school, high school, college. Yet, in these hopes and fears I have this knowledge that this is all right. This is good. This is how it should be. She is meant to grow up, meant to move in to a stage of life where challenge...
It's simply  the break in the clouds the huff up the mountain the cover of yellow leaves the toast of the sun that brings the swell of the spirit.

bakery

This morning I got up around 5:30am. I'm leading a study tonight at a friend's house and so I've had time to this morning to think over what I want to share with my sisters. Our weather cooled off yesterday and this morning it's still cool and the crickets sound so lovely. Something about this morning has reminded me of working at My Favorite Muffin in Clarkesville. I had to get up around 5:30am back then so I could be at the shop at 6am. We opened at 6:30. I was never the only one on the road but it always felt peaceful and fresh driving to the bakery. The baker was always at the shop before me. He would get there around 5am to start the days baking. I really loved that job. It was so simple and predictable but it was just a great job. The sun is just coming up here and it looks like a nice day is coming. This is our last full day with the Littletons here. They'll leave tomorrow night for their flights back to Thailand. I'll miss them.