Skip to main content

sweet saturday

I have a new found happiness.  It's odd.  I have discovered how great Saturday mornings are for having friends over for breakfast.  It is actually the perfect time and day to entertain.  

Over the last 2 months we have either had friends over or been to a friend's house 3 times for a weekend breakfast.  So, I'm really quite experienced on the whole weekend morning entertaining. It's perfect because most people are in a good mood on Saturday mornings.  You're pretty rested. It's not like when you have friends over for dinner and you're already tired from the day but you still need to straighten the house, nurse the baby and make dinner.  Breakfast is a simple straight forward meal.  Children are rested and ready to eat and play. Because the children are rested and then full, they are happy to play with their little friends and the adults have time to drink a second cup of coffee and chat around the table.  No one feels rushed to get the kids home and bathed and in to bed like you do in the evenings.

It's perfect.  This is really good for me to realize because I really, really like having folks over but over the last year and half or so I've gotten really tired of the process.  It was becoming more work than it was worth.  But now I've got the mornings and it's great again!

We had friends over this morning.  We had cinnamon rolls, eggs, bacon, juice and coffee.  And then we repeated that until it was almost all gone and we were all happy and cheery.

If a great breakfast wasn't enough...we got a new mattress today.  This makes me happy for exactly 3 reasons: 1 -It is an awesome mattress.  Well, I think it is.  I'll find out tonight for sure. 2 - It's white with a white flower print on it.  It could be Snoopy, red roses, or Hello Kitty. 3 - We don't need a 3 inch foam on top of it to make it soft.  Foam is great and can make awful beds wonderful but they get old and start shedding little foam pieces whenever you change the sheets.

Today was a really pretty day.  My friend who came over this morning said that when she got back from Thailand she had culture-shock and it surprised her.  She said, "When I was in Thailand I thought, 'Wow, life could be like this.'."  I think that kinda sums up how many folks feel when they go from here to there on holiday.  It's like it hits you that there's this whole world out there that sees blue sky and that you don't.  If you understand this then you've probably lived somewhere a bit tough before and you know that although you feel happy a lot in that tough place, it's when you are out of it that you realize how tough it really is on you.

Anyway, today has been a happy day and it was very sunny.  Coincidence or not?  Hmmm....

Popular posts from this blog

my amazing daughters

*Disclaimer* - The following may not be amazing at all. Lilian can blow her nose.  Hold a tissue to her nose, say "blow" and she blows her nose.  She's 10 months old.  I'm sorry, but that is amazing. Lilian answers questions by shaking her head "yes" or "no".  For example, "Do you want more to drink?"  followed by her head shaking "no". Lilian knows exactly what she is not allowed to touch.  As she approaches the forbidden object she starts shaking her head "no". She waves goodbye and hello. She puts objects to her ear, pretends it's a cell phone and says, "hi." Phil once heard her say, "All done!" Madeleine can tell you the story of Lazarus being raised from the dead.  She knew it after hearing it one time.  She can also tell you about Jesus' ressurection but Lazarus sometimes ends up in there too. She is 3 years old and 5 months. She gets up every morning around 5:30am, goes to the bathroo

rainy, sleepy saturday afternoon

This is perfect.  My husband and eldest daughter are asleep in the living room with an F1 race on. My baby is asleep in her room.  I've had time to sort through my entire wardrobe and pull out the stuff I never wear.  I just finished looking up recipes for Yorkshire pudding, roast beef and pie crust.  I've had a cup of tea.  Plus I had a nap earlier. For some reason my mother-in-law's pie crust recipe sometimes works well and sometimes makes me want to throw the messy, crumbly dough out our 8t h floor window.  So, I've decided that I will find the perfect crust.  It's going to take a lot of sacrifice on our part as we eat my attempts. Some Canadian friends ate Yorkshire pudding at their Easter meal.  It was the one dish my friend mentioned when I asked how their lunch went (I knew they were having a BIG group over).  So, I figured it must be pretty great.  I'm going to try it.  From what I've read I think it should be called Yorkshire bread. Yorkshire pud

coffee at ikea

Phil is coming home today! Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. This morning I canceled a doctor's appointment (who needs immunizations anyway?) so that Mom and I could take full advantage of the nanny and could enjoy a morning at IKEA. Mom's flying out tonight and we won't have another chance to just hang out the 2 of us before they fly to the States for the holidays. Our first stop was at the IKEA restaurant for coffee and a danish. The store was pretty empty so it was really nice just wondering around. Mom bought Maddie's bday gift - a wooden baby bed for her favorite doll. Then we finished it off with a hotdog and flat coke. The weather it typical here today. Rainy and cool. Both girls are snoozing and since I had 2 cups of coffee, I am not.