Skip to main content

a running blog

Well, I'm writing on my blog again.  I've figured out something about myself while living here at Beulah Beach.  When I'm feeling really good about my life, I don't blog very much and I don't run as much.  So, expect a lot more blogging in China and a very fit, trim and ripped Julie!  That sounds awful but it is what it is.  I'd also like to blame my lack of blogging on FB.  I'm not sure how it's related but I'd like to blame it anyway.

We travel.  We travel all the time.  When we're in China, we travel.  We travel to Thailand, we travel to other cities in China, we fly to Australia and to America.  When we're here we travel.  We travel to NC, GA, FL, PA, WV, TX...to thousands upon thousands of towns in OH.  On our last trip, which was to WV, Maddie felt like our 5 hr road trip was so short and fun.  That makes me proud.

The very best thing about road trips in the good ol' US of A is gas station coffee and mini chocolate donuts.  Now, the coffee is always a gamble.  If it's in a pot on a burner it's probably not as nice as the coffee in those tall, black, push the top containers.  But, if it's a Speedway coffee pot, it's probably pretty good.  The donuts, fantastic anywhere.

We're traveling to Harrisburg, Phoenixville and Philadelphia this coming weekend.  I'm getting tired of traveling but what is pushing me on is the reward of Wawa coffee.  The song that comes to mind is Bryan Adam's, "Everything I Do (I do it for you)".

There's this great radio station from Cleveland that counts on the listener to choose the playlist.  The listeners go online or call in and request the songs to be played.  I like the idea a lot but they never play Christian or jazz or classical or 50s music so I don't really think they should claim that "we play anything".  But I like it and I'm guessing I'm the only listener under 45 years old because they play lots of 70s and 80s rock.  I'm not sure how I know so many of those songs but it's really fun when "We Built This City" comes on.

Well, since I'm blogging I better go for a run now, too.



  

Popular posts from this blog

It's simply  the break in the clouds the huff up the mountain the cover of yellow leaves the toast of the sun that brings the swell of the spirit.

to Madeleine

So it's here. It's September 1, 2010. Madeleine Diane Steiner, the girl that made me a mom, is going to kindergarten. She's 4 years and 10 months old. Why does my heart ache and my eyes well up with tears? Madeleine is showing signs of growing up and somehow that feels sad. Who knows all the reasons why but I safely assume I'm not the first mom to have these feelings. And I assume I'll feel them many times again. I have all these hopes and fears for her today. I hope she makes friends. I fear that she'll be lonely. I hope she loves to learn. I fear that she'll be overwhelmed with the Chinese language. I hope she gets the best education we can offer her. I fear that I'll too soon be writing about her first day of middle school, high school, college. Yet, in these hopes and fears I have this knowledge that this is all right. This is good. This is how it should be. She is meant to grow up, meant to move in to a stage of life where challenge...

bakery

This morning I got up around 5:30am. I'm leading a study tonight at a friend's house and so I've had time to this morning to think over what I want to share with my sisters. Our weather cooled off yesterday and this morning it's still cool and the crickets sound so lovely. Something about this morning has reminded me of working at My Favorite Muffin in Clarkesville. I had to get up around 5:30am back then so I could be at the shop at 6am. We opened at 6:30. I was never the only one on the road but it always felt peaceful and fresh driving to the bakery. The baker was always at the shop before me. He would get there around 5am to start the days baking. I really loved that job. It was so simple and predictable but it was just a great job. The sun is just coming up here and it looks like a nice day is coming. This is our last full day with the Littletons here. They'll leave tomorrow night for their flights back to Thailand. I'll miss them.