Skip to main content

Fickle ol' solidarity

At some point in March when this virus deemed that it had spread so far that it could be called a pandemic, I told the girls they should do video journals to remember the days of living in a pandemic. Here now in the middle of April, I realize that I need to write for myself and the girls can just have lots of regret when they're older because they didn't do what I said.

When the whole world started moving to stay-at-home orders, I felt such a strong sense of solidarity.  I looked at all of us (literally all of us - okay, most of us) in our different areas of the world facing this beast together.  Jimmy Fallon's wife filmed him hosting from home.  John Krasinski started SGN in his home office.  Everyone was joking about toilet paper, sweatpants, and cutting your own bangs. Italians were singing from their balconies.  Wuhan folk were singing from their high-rises.  Hospitals in NYC were being surrounded by patrol cars each evening with lights flashing and sirens going to show their love for the medical staff inside.  I knew that staying at home looked differently in every part of the world and that being ordered to not leave your house was scary and soul-crushing for many people but I still felt like this virus had in a horrible way brought us all into each others lives.  I really felt like we were #allinthistogether.

Then last night my heart started to unravel. It was a short few weeks of feeling like we're battling together and then to last night when I realized we could only keep that up for so long. And it's much shorter than my optimistic head had imagined.  It just feels too quick for folks to start screaming and pounding on the walls of solidarity, demanding that the economy come before life.  But I get it.  I actually do. Our system of gaining and keeping wealth, healthcare for some, and just general lack of compassion for life is one where we come to places where we have no choice but to fend for our own.  Solidarity can only take us so far as a hashtag.

Today has felt heavy.  It feels like my heart has lost some of it's resilience.

I see my daughter thrilling in the accomplishment of riding her bike with no hands - just zooming down the road, the breeze in her face and her arms loosely at her sides.  I have coffee in my perfectly light blue mug on the front lawn.  Folks stop at a socially expected 6 feet distance from my lawn chair and say the normal sunny day phrases and the "How are you guys doing?" that means so much more these days.  We banter back and forth knowing that the other one actually cares.  I feel the solidarity and finish my coffee. 

Popular posts from this blog

my amazing daughters

*Disclaimer* - The following may not be amazing at all. Lilian can blow her nose.  Hold a tissue to her nose, say "blow" and she blows her nose.  She's 10 months old.  I'm sorry, but that is amazing. Lilian answers questions by shaking her head "yes" or "no".  For example, "Do you want more to drink?"  followed by her head shaking "no". Lilian knows exactly what she is not allowed to touch.  As she approaches the forbidden object she starts shaking her head "no". She waves goodbye and hello. She puts objects to her ear, pretends it's a cell phone and says, "hi." Phil once heard her say, "All done!" Madeleine can tell you the story of Lazarus being raised from the dead.  She knew it after hearing it one time.  She can also tell you about Jesus' ressurection but Lazarus sometimes ends up in there too. She is 3 years old and 5 months. She gets up every morning around 5:30am, goes to the bathroo

rainy, sleepy saturday afternoon

This is perfect.  My husband and eldest daughter are asleep in the living room with an F1 race on. My baby is asleep in her room.  I've had time to sort through my entire wardrobe and pull out the stuff I never wear.  I just finished looking up recipes for Yorkshire pudding, roast beef and pie crust.  I've had a cup of tea.  Plus I had a nap earlier. For some reason my mother-in-law's pie crust recipe sometimes works well and sometimes makes me want to throw the messy, crumbly dough out our 8t h floor window.  So, I've decided that I will find the perfect crust.  It's going to take a lot of sacrifice on our part as we eat my attempts. Some Canadian friends ate Yorkshire pudding at their Easter meal.  It was the one dish my friend mentioned when I asked how their lunch went (I knew they were having a BIG group over).  So, I figured it must be pretty great.  I'm going to try it.  From what I've read I think it should be called Yorkshire bread. Yorkshire pud

due to pop

I've always thought we women should have been designed with one of those plastic timers that pop out of fully cooked turkeys so that when the baby is done and ready to be taken from our oven our timers would pop out and we'd just head to the hospital. Wouldn't that be so convenient? If it takes 9 months for a baby to be fully done my baby will be ready to come tomorrow, the 9th of June. If she does, she'll share a birthday with our dear friend John Littleton. Which would be really sweet. Phil just knew she's be born around 12am last night since that was when the opening game of the European Cup started. She wasn't ready to come out for the big game but she was very excited as she did flips from about 10pm to 12am and encouraged me to watch the first half with her papa. When that timer does pop I'll let you know.