Skip to main content

I heart Xining

This is, bar none, the best place we've lived in CH.  We've been back for just over 2 months now and it hasn't been rosy everyday but most days have been pretty darn good.

---Amazing to live with moutains in our backyard and every side of the city
---The weather is a sweet treat. - blue skies, thunderstorms and stars
---I love that Lily dances and learns the cutest songs at her CH preschool.  There's this one song in particular.  Ms. Xue plays the piano as each child takes a turn standing in front of all the other kids.  The kids sing a welcome song to that child and at the end the child in front, in a very loud voice and with a little bow, says, "Thank you everyone!"  It is just about the cutest thing on earth to see all these little CH 3 and 4 year olds singing, bowing and thanking their classmates.  Of course, by far, the cutest is the one little blonde 4 year old bowing and thanking in CH.
---Our apartment complex.  It is amazing.  It's also huge.  There are about half a billion paths and about the same number of awesome fountains.  It may sound cheesy/tacky (it's definitely, very CH), but at night the fountains are lit up with colored lights and it makes a fantastic fountain show.  I love it.  A fun thing to do is a night time fountain tour.  There was one other complex we lived in in Xi'an that we really liked.  But this place is unbeatable.
---I've never been to a housing complex, whether high-end or low, that didn't have someone hanging their blankets or clothes on a drying rack right in the middle of the sidewalks.  Undies are permitted.  The difference now, is that I also have a drying rack and on sunny days I love hanging our sheets and towels outside on the sidewalk.  There have been days were our rack has joined a line of other racks.  There is something so satisfying about baking our things in the strong plateau sun.
---Again, cheesy, but around 11am the complex pipes music throughout the complex.  It always makes me smile to hear Kenny G serenading us or a Bryan Adams love song.
---Xining is the smallest place we've lived in CH.  It's not "small town America" small but it's small for CH.  I love that.  We can easily take buses to almost every place we want to go.  We never have to tell a taxi driver how to get to where we want to go.  They know it all.
---Xining is a very friendly place.  This is true among the local community and the expat community.  
---I love that, because we have a great place to roam and because we really want to be outdoors, I'm getting to know our neighbors easily. Some of them are several buildings away but there's a friendly nod and greeting when we pass on the sidewalk.  There's a granddad that walks his kids' dogs every morning.  We had a conversation a few weeks back as I was finishing up my run.  Yesterday morning we saw each other again and had a nice chat about the start of the school year.  It was short and simple but very neighborly.  When you live in a second culture you need these little things of acceptance.

Well, looks like another beautiful day in the neighborhood.  Maybe it's time for a second cup of coffee on the stoop.  

  
  


Popular posts from this blog

my amazing daughters

*Disclaimer* - The following may not be amazing at all. Lilian can blow her nose.  Hold a tissue to her nose, say "blow" and she blows her nose.  She's 10 months old.  I'm sorry, but that is amazing. Lilian answers questions by shaking her head "yes" or "no".  For example, "Do you want more to drink?"  followed by her head shaking "no". Lilian knows exactly what she is not allowed to touch.  As she approaches the forbidden object she starts shaking her head "no". She waves goodbye and hello. She puts objects to her ear, pretends it's a cell phone and says, "hi." Phil once heard her say, "All done!" Madeleine can tell you the story of Lazarus being raised from the dead.  She knew it after hearing it one time.  She can also tell you about Jesus' ressurection but Lazarus sometimes ends up in there too. She is 3 years old and 5 months. She gets up every morning around 5:30am, goes to the bathroo

rainy, sleepy saturday afternoon

This is perfect.  My husband and eldest daughter are asleep in the living room with an F1 race on. My baby is asleep in her room.  I've had time to sort through my entire wardrobe and pull out the stuff I never wear.  I just finished looking up recipes for Yorkshire pudding, roast beef and pie crust.  I've had a cup of tea.  Plus I had a nap earlier. For some reason my mother-in-law's pie crust recipe sometimes works well and sometimes makes me want to throw the messy, crumbly dough out our 8t h floor window.  So, I've decided that I will find the perfect crust.  It's going to take a lot of sacrifice on our part as we eat my attempts. Some Canadian friends ate Yorkshire pudding at their Easter meal.  It was the one dish my friend mentioned when I asked how their lunch went (I knew they were having a BIG group over).  So, I figured it must be pretty great.  I'm going to try it.  From what I've read I think it should be called Yorkshire bread. Yorkshire pud

coffee at ikea

Phil is coming home today! Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. This morning I canceled a doctor's appointment (who needs immunizations anyway?) so that Mom and I could take full advantage of the nanny and could enjoy a morning at IKEA. Mom's flying out tonight and we won't have another chance to just hang out the 2 of us before they fly to the States for the holidays. Our first stop was at the IKEA restaurant for coffee and a danish. The store was pretty empty so it was really nice just wondering around. Mom bought Maddie's bday gift - a wooden baby bed for her favorite doll. Then we finished it off with a hotdog and flat coke. The weather it typical here today. Rainy and cool. Both girls are snoozing and since I had 2 cups of coffee, I am not.