Skip to main content

the number dilemna

I don't know how many kids I want.  I know how many kids Phil would like, 2.  Immediately, after giving birth to Lilian I looked up at Phil and said, "I don't want any more kids.  I don't want to do this again.  Two is enough."  I have not forgotten what caused me to passionately speak those words to Phil.  But, when I hold my sweet little girl I have this nagging thought that I don't want this to be the last little baby I cuddle with.  

So here is what I think about to try to decide:

Traveling...5 people boarding a plane, packing for 5, finding lodging for 5, feeding 5 while on vacation.  We travel a lot so this is something that really is good to consider.  Of course, the main time this will be a hassle is when 3 of the 5 are still young and need a lot of assistance from the 2 that are adults.

Sleeping...where does a third sleep?  Is it possible to get 3 kids to nap at the same time?  Both of my girls sleep through the night well almost every night, do I want to go through those couple of sleep deprived months again?

Evening hours...aren't these the toughest?  Phil and I are tired and ready to wind down but even when the girls are asleep there are still dishes to be washed, rooms to be straightened, clean clothes to be sorted....

Who watches that third kid when both parents are already taking care of the needs of another kid?  For example, giving Madeleine a bath and nursing the baby, where's Lilian and what is she doing??

Labor and Delivery...I've done it, do I want to do it again?

But then, I think about how sweet a warm baby is to hold when they just wake from a nap.  How their smile melts you.  How proud you feel when they learn something new or make their first joke.  This list could go on and on.  There are so many joys.

Phil and I are tired.  We're tired of the daily grind.  We need a date night, big time.  It's totally possible and will happen this week but we've waited too long to have one.  We often eat lunch together at a restaurant on Wednesdays because it's my day off from school.  But there's something really special about leaving dinner, dishes and bedtime to a sitter.  

When I sat down to write this post I was feeling pretty convinced that 2 kids is enough.  But for some reason now, I feel really conflicted.  Phil is open to the idea but would be very happy to stop now.  I think I thought that writing this post would help me.  

The really wonderful thing is that we have two super-duper kids and that is so special.  We're blessed and I'm enjoying being a mom more and more all the time.

Popular posts from this blog

to Madeleine

So it's here. It's September 1, 2010. Madeleine Diane Steiner, the girl that made me a mom, is going to kindergarten. She's 4 years and 10 months old. Why does my heart ache and my eyes well up with tears? Madeleine is showing signs of growing up and somehow that feels sad. Who knows all the reasons why but I safely assume I'm not the first mom to have these feelings. And I assume I'll feel them many times again. I have all these hopes and fears for her today. I hope she makes friends. I fear that she'll be lonely. I hope she loves to learn. I fear that she'll be overwhelmed with the Chinese language. I hope she gets the best education we can offer her. I fear that I'll too soon be writing about her first day of middle school, high school, college. Yet, in these hopes and fears I have this knowledge that this is all right. This is good. This is how it should be. She is meant to grow up, meant to move in to a stage of life where challenge...
It's simply  the break in the clouds the huff up the mountain the cover of yellow leaves the toast of the sun that brings the swell of the spirit.

bakery

This morning I got up around 5:30am. I'm leading a study tonight at a friend's house and so I've had time to this morning to think over what I want to share with my sisters. Our weather cooled off yesterday and this morning it's still cool and the crickets sound so lovely. Something about this morning has reminded me of working at My Favorite Muffin in Clarkesville. I had to get up around 5:30am back then so I could be at the shop at 6am. We opened at 6:30. I was never the only one on the road but it always felt peaceful and fresh driving to the bakery. The baker was always at the shop before me. He would get there around 5am to start the days baking. I really loved that job. It was so simple and predictable but it was just a great job. The sun is just coming up here and it looks like a nice day is coming. This is our last full day with the Littletons here. They'll leave tomorrow night for their flights back to Thailand. I'll miss them.