Skip to main content

facebook killed the blogger

Well, it's that time again.  The time when I remember that I have a blog and think about writing something. With coffee in hand, I've sat down in front of this screen and, I'm not joking, within seconds Abe is crying in his room.  Fortunately, for me, I can ignore him.

We have a mountain behind our apartment.  It's literally behind our apartment.  I walk out the back gate, up a short road and BOOM, there's the mountain.  I like our apartment but I sometimes think about all the other apartment complexes that seem better.  Some are closer to the girl's school. Some have lots of other expat kids that the girls could be out playing with.  But none of them have their very own mountain.  And so, even with the things I'd like to change about this complex, I'm praying we can live here for a long time.  Phil tires to climb the mountain everyday.  I was inspired and I try to climb it every other day - I don't want to get too buff.  I never have a bad hike.  One time just as I started out my MP3 went funky and I was already grumpy so I thought it was going to be a bad one but it was still awesome.  I really, really like our mountain.

A friend asked me what makes me really happy, what refreshes me and I didn't know how to answer.  My family makes me happy but not always and refreshing isn't the word I'd ever use to describe the nightly bedtime routine.  I've never been a very good stay-at-home mom and so summer vacation just became pure torture for at least the last week.  I have a great husband and some of my closest friends live here in Xining and I find lots of joy in them and there are times of refreshment...but it still doesn't seem like my answer.  It was pretty depressing not having an answer. But yesterday when I was hiking I knew my answer.  Hiking on my own makes me really happy and totally refreshes me.

Studying sociology makes me happy, too.  Phil helped me see this the other night when I was telling him I couldn't answer my friend's question.  I really doubted my ability to do grad level work.  Then I did so stinkin good that first semester!!  And when I read my classmates introductions on the first day of class, and this is going to sound really nerdy, I felt like I had found my niche.  I loved how all these people thought like I did and wanted to talk about it.  And I still love it.

So, there's my answer.  Interesting that one exercises my muscles and one my mind.  Hmmm, maybe I could study the reasoning behind that...



Popular posts from this blog

my amazing daughters

*Disclaimer* - The following may not be amazing at all. Lilian can blow her nose.  Hold a tissue to her nose, say "blow" and she blows her nose.  She's 10 months old.  I'm sorry, but that is amazing. Lilian answers questions by shaking her head "yes" or "no".  For example, "Do you want more to drink?"  followed by her head shaking "no". Lilian knows exactly what she is not allowed to touch.  As she approaches the forbidden object she starts shaking her head "no". She waves goodbye and hello. She puts objects to her ear, pretends it's a cell phone and says, "hi." Phil once heard her say, "All done!" Madeleine can tell you the story of Lazarus being raised from the dead.  She knew it after hearing it one time.  She can also tell you about Jesus' ressurection but Lazarus sometimes ends up in there too. She is 3 years old and 5 months. She gets up every morning around 5:30am, goes to the bathroo

rainy, sleepy saturday afternoon

This is perfect.  My husband and eldest daughter are asleep in the living room with an F1 race on. My baby is asleep in her room.  I've had time to sort through my entire wardrobe and pull out the stuff I never wear.  I just finished looking up recipes for Yorkshire pudding, roast beef and pie crust.  I've had a cup of tea.  Plus I had a nap earlier. For some reason my mother-in-law's pie crust recipe sometimes works well and sometimes makes me want to throw the messy, crumbly dough out our 8t h floor window.  So, I've decided that I will find the perfect crust.  It's going to take a lot of sacrifice on our part as we eat my attempts. Some Canadian friends ate Yorkshire pudding at their Easter meal.  It was the one dish my friend mentioned when I asked how their lunch went (I knew they were having a BIG group over).  So, I figured it must be pretty great.  I'm going to try it.  From what I've read I think it should be called Yorkshire bread. Yorkshire pud

due to pop

I've always thought we women should have been designed with one of those plastic timers that pop out of fully cooked turkeys so that when the baby is done and ready to be taken from our oven our timers would pop out and we'd just head to the hospital. Wouldn't that be so convenient? If it takes 9 months for a baby to be fully done my baby will be ready to come tomorrow, the 9th of June. If she does, she'll share a birthday with our dear friend John Littleton. Which would be really sweet. Phil just knew she's be born around 12am last night since that was when the opening game of the European Cup started. She wasn't ready to come out for the big game but she was very excited as she did flips from about 10pm to 12am and encouraged me to watch the first half with her papa. When that timer does pop I'll let you know.