Skip to main content

last day of the week

Today feels like Friday although it's Thursday. Tomorrow we're taking the morning off for my 1st prenatal doctor's visit. We should be able to get an ultrasound done so we can see the little tike.

My lesson at school today will be a lot of words like: labor, delivery, operation, and learning how to ask questions like, "Will the baby be able to stay in the room with me or be in a nursery?". I've had a couple lessons on visiting the doctor or being sick but nothing about pregnancy. So, I asked Annie, my teacher, to prepare a special lesson for me today. Our friend, Kati, will be going with us on Friday and she had all three of her children in Taiwan. She'll be helping us as needed which I imagine will be quite a bit.

Unfortunately, all the stuff we hear from other foreigners about having babies in a local hospital isn't what we want to hear. So, we're hoping our talk with the doctor on Friday will be more positive. Either way, it will help us make the decision about staying here or going elsewhere for delivery. The hospital we'll visit tomorrow is one that many foreigners visit for their prenatal stuff and we know of one foreigner currently planning to have her baby there. I also know of another foreigner who had her baby at that facility. So, the staff and doctors have run into our mindset before.

I've been feeling so much better for over a week now. I still rarely feel like eating at meal times but I don't feel like throwing up during them so much anymore. I can also eat Chinese food again although I don't actually look forward to it. I normally love to eat so this is pretty different for me. But, I am feeling a whole lot better.

Saturday's birthday party planning is underway. Chao Chao, Peter and Clinton have been invited. Phil and I figured out details last night. We'll have the kids and their parents or Ayi over at 10:30am. We're going to set up a short box maze in the hall that I know they'll love. It'll lead from the hall into Maddie's room. At 11:30 or so we'll have a simple lunch of pb&j sandwiches cut into animal shapes, popcorn, and fruit. The adults will have a choice of "adult" sandwiches - egg or tuna salad. Of course, some adults still prefer animal shaped pb&j. If the weather is nice we'll go downstairs in the courtyard to play more and have birthday cake. I'm not sure about present time. It seems kinda cruel at this age to have other kids watch one kid open a bunch of presents and all the others get is a little gift baggie. So, we'll see how that works out.

We tried to plan a morning that Maddie would really like. Hence, her closest play pals, timing before nap time, pb&j as the main course, and being outside.

It looks like Natasha and Jason (Peter and Clinton's parents) will be able to take care of Maddie that afternoon as Phil and I go to the soccer match. So, she'll have a fun afternoon, too.

Last night at dinner we were talking to her in Chinese and she was answering us in Chinese. It's the cutest thing.

Popular posts from this blog

to Madeleine

So it's here. It's September 1, 2010. Madeleine Diane Steiner, the girl that made me a mom, is going to kindergarten. She's 4 years and 10 months old. Why does my heart ache and my eyes well up with tears? Madeleine is showing signs of growing up and somehow that feels sad. Who knows all the reasons why but I safely assume I'm not the first mom to have these feelings. And I assume I'll feel them many times again. I have all these hopes and fears for her today. I hope she makes friends. I fear that she'll be lonely. I hope she loves to learn. I fear that she'll be overwhelmed with the Chinese language. I hope she gets the best education we can offer her. I fear that I'll too soon be writing about her first day of middle school, high school, college. Yet, in these hopes and fears I have this knowledge that this is all right. This is good. This is how it should be. She is meant to grow up, meant to move in to a stage of life where challenge...

bakery

This morning I got up around 5:30am. I'm leading a study tonight at a friend's house and so I've had time to this morning to think over what I want to share with my sisters. Our weather cooled off yesterday and this morning it's still cool and the crickets sound so lovely. Something about this morning has reminded me of working at My Favorite Muffin in Clarkesville. I had to get up around 5:30am back then so I could be at the shop at 6am. We opened at 6:30. I was never the only one on the road but it always felt peaceful and fresh driving to the bakery. The baker was always at the shop before me. He would get there around 5am to start the days baking. I really loved that job. It was so simple and predictable but it was just a great job. The sun is just coming up here and it looks like a nice day is coming. This is our last full day with the Littletons here. They'll leave tomorrow night for their flights back to Thailand. I'll miss them.

going to the Mellen Center

I am so glad that I'm saved. I love having a Savior that gets me. A Savior that holds me and carries me and walks with me and cheers for me. A Savior that doesn't care that I'm weak and tired and so inclined to doubt but instead he gets excited in my weakness because then he can be best understood. I also love that he doesn't want me to be weak. So he gives me strength. I remember the first time Phil told me that he loved me. I felt shocked and astounded. That this guy that I thought was so awesome, loved me. And he told me! He didn't have to. He just couldn't help it. He loved me so much that he just had to let me know. And then there's my Savior. Jesus. He loves me. He loves me so much that he just had to tell me. He didn't have to love me but he does and he told me. He told me this morning, too. He keeps telling me over and over how much he loves me. Jesus loves me. I'm astounded.