Skip to main content

hohoho!

December first saw our lovely tree ascend in the living room.  December second it became adorned with little lights and lovingly made, given or bought ornaments.  Today we're enjoying it.  

Madeleine helped decorated.  We have one branch that is very well decorated and then I helped her space the others out a bit.  She was really sweet looking at the ornaments and getting excited about them.  It's nice that Phil and I have collected ornaments over the years and we even have several from his childhood.  So many of them have special meaning for us.  I remember how much fun it was for me to go through the ornaments when I was little.  So we made sure to let Madeleine enjoy the process even though it meant one fragile little sled got broken.  Thankfully, we had several.

Lilian was less than thrilled this morning when she saw the tree in all it's glory.  She did roll underneath it, tried to grab a branch and sucked on a stocking for awhile.  

Popular posts from this blog

It's simply  the break in the clouds the huff up the mountain the cover of yellow leaves the toast of the sun that brings the swell of the spirit.

to Madeleine

So it's here. It's September 1, 2010. Madeleine Diane Steiner, the girl that made me a mom, is going to kindergarten. She's 4 years and 10 months old. Why does my heart ache and my eyes well up with tears? Madeleine is showing signs of growing up and somehow that feels sad. Who knows all the reasons why but I safely assume I'm not the first mom to have these feelings. And I assume I'll feel them many times again. I have all these hopes and fears for her today. I hope she makes friends. I fear that she'll be lonely. I hope she loves to learn. I fear that she'll be overwhelmed with the Chinese language. I hope she gets the best education we can offer her. I fear that I'll too soon be writing about her first day of middle school, high school, college. Yet, in these hopes and fears I have this knowledge that this is all right. This is good. This is how it should be. She is meant to grow up, meant to move in to a stage of life where challenge...

bakery

This morning I got up around 5:30am. I'm leading a study tonight at a friend's house and so I've had time to this morning to think over what I want to share with my sisters. Our weather cooled off yesterday and this morning it's still cool and the crickets sound so lovely. Something about this morning has reminded me of working at My Favorite Muffin in Clarkesville. I had to get up around 5:30am back then so I could be at the shop at 6am. We opened at 6:30. I was never the only one on the road but it always felt peaceful and fresh driving to the bakery. The baker was always at the shop before me. He would get there around 5am to start the days baking. I really loved that job. It was so simple and predictable but it was just a great job. The sun is just coming up here and it looks like a nice day is coming. This is our last full day with the Littletons here. They'll leave tomorrow night for their flights back to Thailand. I'll miss them.