Skip to main content

grilling

Well Sunday's bbq didn't go quite as planned. Jason (Tompkins - new arrivals) and Phil spent awhile trying to get the charcoal to light with no success. Then Jason spent awhile by himself trying. The idea of making our own lighter fluid started being discussed. Wine? Rubbing Alcohol? Cooking oil? So I headed to a nearby store to buy BaiJiu, which is a strong drink that is commonly drunk when men want to play drinking games and get smashed.

Phil was inside leading a discussion with the rest of the folks while Jason, Maddie, and I (Maddie not so much) threw BaiJiu on the charcoals and then lit it. Wow! What a burst of flames. But to no avail. After many attempts and even adding a whole pail of shredded paper the thing would never catch. So we cooked in the kitchen. It turned out well and was really fun.

Bella and I are hanging out on the couch right now as the rest of the family sleeps. Bella just smelled my coffee and went a bit crazy. Oh, the power of good coffee.

Today Bella has a play date. There's this thing called dog socializing that almost all dog websites talk about these days. The idea is that your puppy needs to be around strangers and other dogs so that she will be social and not aggressive towards strangers or other dogs. With living in an apartment she gets plenty of human socialization but her doggy social life is lacking. So today we're going to Mara's house to play with Boaz. Boaz is about 5 months old and about the size of Bella. I don't remember what type of dog he is but he's fluffy and white. Oh, and hypoallergenic which is so weird to me.

Popular posts from this blog

my amazing daughters

*Disclaimer* - The following may not be amazing at all. Lilian can blow her nose.  Hold a tissue to her nose, say "blow" and she blows her nose.  She's 10 months old.  I'm sorry, but that is amazing. Lilian answers questions by shaking her head "yes" or "no".  For example, "Do you want more to drink?"  followed by her head shaking "no". Lilian knows exactly what she is not allowed to touch.  As she approaches the forbidden object she starts shaking her head "no". She waves goodbye and hello. She puts objects to her ear, pretends it's a cell phone and says, "hi." Phil once heard her say, "All done!" Madeleine can tell you the story of Lazarus being raised from the dead.  She knew it after hearing it one time.  She can also tell you about Jesus' ressurection but Lazarus sometimes ends up in there too. She is 3 years old and 5 months. She gets up every morning around 5:30am, goes to the bathroo

rainy, sleepy saturday afternoon

This is perfect.  My husband and eldest daughter are asleep in the living room with an F1 race on. My baby is asleep in her room.  I've had time to sort through my entire wardrobe and pull out the stuff I never wear.  I just finished looking up recipes for Yorkshire pudding, roast beef and pie crust.  I've had a cup of tea.  Plus I had a nap earlier. For some reason my mother-in-law's pie crust recipe sometimes works well and sometimes makes me want to throw the messy, crumbly dough out our 8t h floor window.  So, I've decided that I will find the perfect crust.  It's going to take a lot of sacrifice on our part as we eat my attempts. Some Canadian friends ate Yorkshire pudding at their Easter meal.  It was the one dish my friend mentioned when I asked how their lunch went (I knew they were having a BIG group over).  So, I figured it must be pretty great.  I'm going to try it.  From what I've read I think it should be called Yorkshire bread. Yorkshire pud

coffee at ikea

Phil is coming home today! Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. This morning I canceled a doctor's appointment (who needs immunizations anyway?) so that Mom and I could take full advantage of the nanny and could enjoy a morning at IKEA. Mom's flying out tonight and we won't have another chance to just hang out the 2 of us before they fly to the States for the holidays. Our first stop was at the IKEA restaurant for coffee and a danish. The store was pretty empty so it was really nice just wondering around. Mom bought Maddie's bday gift - a wooden baby bed for her favorite doll. Then we finished it off with a hotdog and flat coke. The weather it typical here today. Rainy and cool. Both girls are snoozing and since I had 2 cups of coffee, I am not.