Skip to main content

new curtains and sore throat

Natasha T. and I spent about 5 hours yesterday picking out material, figuring out measurements, and waiting for curtains and sheets to be made. Natasha's family just moved here last week. Since we have the week off we wanted to help them out and thought it would be good for our Chinese.

Before we went to the fabric market I wrote out a cheat sheet of vocabulary I thought I'd need to get stuff done. At the market there are rows and rows and rows of fabric to choose from. The bolts are all different sizes and blends. Down one central isle ladies sit lined up with their sewing machines. They work quickly and usually do a great job. So everything can be done in one day. It's really convenient and a unique experience for us foreigners.

Thankfully, Natasha had some ideas for what she wanted and that helped a lot because with so many fabrics, colors, and patterns it can be very overwhelming. We also picked a great seamstress who was patient with my Chinese and even walked over to a shop with us at one point to make sure we were getting the right amount. The hardest part was the language. Right of the bat, we found this seamstress and started explaining to her the measurements of the windows and beds that we needed stuff for. She figured out how much material we needed and how long the bolts should be. It took me several trips to her station to finally figure out everything she was trying to tell us.

It doesn't help that I know very, very little about sewing. My biggest sewing feat in life still hangs proudly on my parents bathroom wall. I made it in 7th grade and it's a small quilted square that has an old time bathtub and the words, "Soap 5 cents". I figure it will be a family heirloom.

Natasha's ideas were really good and she picked out very nice material. We got back to our houses around 5pm. I really, really wanted to call her last night and see if she had hung everything but I didn't. I knew I'd see her today. I just hope that I didn't totally mess up the measurements.

I really find this sort of thing fulfilling...helping others get settled. I haven't done it much but the few times I've done things here and other places it's always been such a good thing. This is something I hadn't really thought about as a gifting until recently. It kinda seems like a thing that anyone can do but from my experiences I'm seeing that that's not true. It takes patience and a sense of knowing that the time your spending is worthwhile. I can see how others could easily feel like finding the perfect shade of blues to match a quilt or the right accent border for red curtains is a waste. There was one time yesterday that I felt really tired and ready to go but I knew we still had a long time ahead of us. I also know that making your home feel like yours is very important for most people and that Natasha and her family needed this. Anyway, I'm curious to see how this could be used in my life more down the road. Makes me wonder what's ahead.

Maddie and I have colds. My body always tells me I'm about to get a full-blown cold by making my throat really sore and then sneezing a ton. That happened yesterday and sure enough, this morning I'm blowing and blowing my nose. Maddie's had a runny nose, which started off as sneezing, for a couple days now. Yesterday she didn't feel well at all. YaLi and Phil both said that during the day she often would hold her stomach and cry. I saw here do it last night, too. It's very pathetic looking.

Today, Phil will be helping move bunk-beds to Natasha's. Our neighbors are selling their beds to them. We'll rent a 3-wheeled motorcyle/cart sort of vehicle that is often used to move things around town. They don't live far from here at all but no one wants to move a bunk bed on their own. I mentioned to Natasha that today we could go to a huge market on the north side of town to buy an oven. I'm not sure if we'll do that or not.

I can't believe it's already Thursday. This vacation is going by too fast.

Popular posts from this blog

my amazing daughters

*Disclaimer* - The following may not be amazing at all. Lilian can blow her nose.  Hold a tissue to her nose, say "blow" and she blows her nose.  She's 10 months old.  I'm sorry, but that is amazing. Lilian answers questions by shaking her head "yes" or "no".  For example, "Do you want more to drink?"  followed by her head shaking "no". Lilian knows exactly what she is not allowed to touch.  As she approaches the forbidden object she starts shaking her head "no". She waves goodbye and hello. She puts objects to her ear, pretends it's a cell phone and says, "hi." Phil once heard her say, "All done!" Madeleine can tell you the story of Lazarus being raised from the dead.  She knew it after hearing it one time.  She can also tell you about Jesus' ressurection but Lazarus sometimes ends up in there too. She is 3 years old and 5 months. She gets up every morning around 5:30am, goes to the bathroo

rainy, sleepy saturday afternoon

This is perfect.  My husband and eldest daughter are asleep in the living room with an F1 race on. My baby is asleep in her room.  I've had time to sort through my entire wardrobe and pull out the stuff I never wear.  I just finished looking up recipes for Yorkshire pudding, roast beef and pie crust.  I've had a cup of tea.  Plus I had a nap earlier. For some reason my mother-in-law's pie crust recipe sometimes works well and sometimes makes me want to throw the messy, crumbly dough out our 8t h floor window.  So, I've decided that I will find the perfect crust.  It's going to take a lot of sacrifice on our part as we eat my attempts. Some Canadian friends ate Yorkshire pudding at their Easter meal.  It was the one dish my friend mentioned when I asked how their lunch went (I knew they were having a BIG group over).  So, I figured it must be pretty great.  I'm going to try it.  From what I've read I think it should be called Yorkshire bread. Yorkshire pud

coffee at ikea

Phil is coming home today! Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. This morning I canceled a doctor's appointment (who needs immunizations anyway?) so that Mom and I could take full advantage of the nanny and could enjoy a morning at IKEA. Mom's flying out tonight and we won't have another chance to just hang out the 2 of us before they fly to the States for the holidays. Our first stop was at the IKEA restaurant for coffee and a danish. The store was pretty empty so it was really nice just wondering around. Mom bought Maddie's bday gift - a wooden baby bed for her favorite doll. Then we finished it off with a hotdog and flat coke. The weather it typical here today. Rainy and cool. Both girls are snoozing and since I had 2 cups of coffee, I am not.