Skip to main content

happy birthday

Today I am 29 years old. I don't mind being a 29 year old. It has it's advantages, I'm sure.

It's only 7:33am so I don't really know how my actual birthday is going to be but yesterday was great. After a meeting here at home with the other Seminary English teachers, Phil told me that Terri (coworker) wanted to see me the office. I knew something was up and when I walked into the office everyone was standing there, Terri was holding a cake with candles, and they all started singing "Happy Birthday". I wasn't surprised that they did something but I was surprised to have everyone there at that moment singing to me. I'm enjoying a piece of the spice cake right now with coffee. They also made me a really sweet card that was very encouraging.

Terri and Buddy(dog) came over around 5pm last evening so that Phil and I could go out. I knew we were going to a restaurant and I knew we should dress a little nice. We both looked nice but we couldn't resist wearing our sandals. Sport sandals are nice, right? So we caught a taxi to Hangkou (across the river from us) and I still didn't know where we were going but Phil seemed very confident and we had a great ride over - took us about 30mins. Once downtown, the driver started looking at Phil and Phil told him he could pull over anywhere. We got out and I kept saying, "How do you know where we are?" We had never been to that part of Hangkou. Phil just takes my hand and starts leading me down the street like he'd been there a thousand times before. We crossed the street and ended up at the Ramada. The Ramada is a tall beautiful hotel with doormen, foutains, WONDERFUL bathrooms, and this romantic restaurant called the Rose Restaurant. So that was our destinations. I had one of the best meals of my life and I can't even start to explain the depths of delight that my dessert brought. You'll just have to go to the restuarant yourself and order the chocolate fondant.

After supper we used the bathrooms, again. I'm serious, they were really wonderful. We also went to the top of the hotel to check out their revolving restuarant. It was very cool and would be another fun date. Then we walked around Hangkou checking out shops and just enjoying the hussle and bussle. We came home to find Madeleine sound asleep after a fun night of playing with Terri and Buddy. Terri is wonderful and we really like Buddy, too. So, a good time was had by all.

This morning Phil is feeding Maddie and I was going to go for a jog but Phil talked me out of it because the air quality looks horrible. When your husband talks you out of doing something that will make your body look better, you should listen. So I decided to blog. PengAiYi is coming soon to clean and then later we may go back to HangKou to buy DVDs and eat at Mr. Donut. Rhoda (coworker) will go with us. She's our age, a lot of fun, and knows HongKou so we'll actually be able to find Mr. Donut this time.

Popular posts from this blog

my amazing daughters

*Disclaimer* - The following may not be amazing at all. Lilian can blow her nose.  Hold a tissue to her nose, say "blow" and she blows her nose.  She's 10 months old.  I'm sorry, but that is amazing. Lilian answers questions by shaking her head "yes" or "no".  For example, "Do you want more to drink?"  followed by her head shaking "no". Lilian knows exactly what she is not allowed to touch.  As she approaches the forbidden object she starts shaking her head "no". She waves goodbye and hello. She puts objects to her ear, pretends it's a cell phone and says, "hi." Phil once heard her say, "All done!" Madeleine can tell you the story of Lazarus being raised from the dead.  She knew it after hearing it one time.  She can also tell you about Jesus' ressurection but Lazarus sometimes ends up in there too. She is 3 years old and 5 months. She gets up every morning around 5:30am, goes to the bathroo

rainy, sleepy saturday afternoon

This is perfect.  My husband and eldest daughter are asleep in the living room with an F1 race on. My baby is asleep in her room.  I've had time to sort through my entire wardrobe and pull out the stuff I never wear.  I just finished looking up recipes for Yorkshire pudding, roast beef and pie crust.  I've had a cup of tea.  Plus I had a nap earlier. For some reason my mother-in-law's pie crust recipe sometimes works well and sometimes makes me want to throw the messy, crumbly dough out our 8t h floor window.  So, I've decided that I will find the perfect crust.  It's going to take a lot of sacrifice on our part as we eat my attempts. Some Canadian friends ate Yorkshire pudding at their Easter meal.  It was the one dish my friend mentioned when I asked how their lunch went (I knew they were having a BIG group over).  So, I figured it must be pretty great.  I'm going to try it.  From what I've read I think it should be called Yorkshire bread. Yorkshire pud

coffee at ikea

Phil is coming home today! Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. This morning I canceled a doctor's appointment (who needs immunizations anyway?) so that Mom and I could take full advantage of the nanny and could enjoy a morning at IKEA. Mom's flying out tonight and we won't have another chance to just hang out the 2 of us before they fly to the States for the holidays. Our first stop was at the IKEA restaurant for coffee and a danish. The store was pretty empty so it was really nice just wondering around. Mom bought Maddie's bday gift - a wooden baby bed for her favorite doll. Then we finished it off with a hotdog and flat coke. The weather it typical here today. Rainy and cool. Both girls are snoozing and since I had 2 cups of coffee, I am not.