Skip to main content

rainy saturday in china

A 6th tooth is popping through. I'm not sure when I'll wise up and begin to associate Maddie's really fussy days with a new tooth. A couple days ago she was super cranky, clingy, feverish, had a bit of a runny nose, and didn't want to eat. A more experienced parent would say, "Yep, she's teething." I just complained about how fussy she was. Then that evening I decided to look at her gums and there it was, the 6th tooth just coming through the skin. I think I've done this with every single tooth. Maybe I've learned. We'll see when the 7th starts...wait, maybe it already has.

Last night a strong wind brought in cooler weather and rain. I went for a run and enjoyed the breeze in my face. Last night was also a night to celebrate Mid-Autumn Day. So there was a huge fireworks show down the river. I was able to watch from one particular apartment complex that sits on top of a parking garage so it's higher than the rest of the complex. A cute old couple was sitting on their 2nd story balcony watching too. It was just the 3 of us.

It was an odd feeling watching the show. The fireworks were amazing. Tons of them and really unique. I would have really had a good view just across the street but that would have meant leaving the complex grounds and standing with the other 6 million watching.

There are so many reasons for not doing that but a few are:
--I was dressed in running clothes which is fine for me to do if I'm running but looks really odd for a woman to dress that way for just being out
--I was alone - I would have still been alone even among the 6 million outside the complex
--I'm foreign - which means I don't blend in.

So, I had this odd feeling of being really, really alone.

I was watching fireworks for a holiday I don't really understand, in a country were I don't fit in. I was really amazed by the show and wanted to be invited into one of the apartments with other people being amazed or just sit with that old couple and know that we were seeing the same thing no matter what our lives were like or how we were different. I felt like I was outside of this really amazing party looking in through a window and knowing that even if I did get invited in I'd never be like those people. I guess I justed wanted to feel "us" instead of "them and me".

I think that sums up a lot of the difficulties of living in China. I wonder if someday I'll have times when I forget that I'm different. There are days now that I have a moment when I don't see those around me as Chinese. I just see them as people. But most days I see a Chinese person, not just a person. They look at me and see a foreign person, not just a person.

Maddie's nap is over, so so is this blog.

Popular posts from this blog

to Madeleine

So it's here. It's September 1, 2010. Madeleine Diane Steiner, the girl that made me a mom, is going to kindergarten. She's 4 years and 10 months old. Why does my heart ache and my eyes well up with tears? Madeleine is showing signs of growing up and somehow that feels sad. Who knows all the reasons why but I safely assume I'm not the first mom to have these feelings. And I assume I'll feel them many times again. I have all these hopes and fears for her today. I hope she makes friends. I fear that she'll be lonely. I hope she loves to learn. I fear that she'll be overwhelmed with the Chinese language. I hope she gets the best education we can offer her. I fear that I'll too soon be writing about her first day of middle school, high school, college. Yet, in these hopes and fears I have this knowledge that this is all right. This is good. This is how it should be. She is meant to grow up, meant to move in to a stage of life where challenge...

bakery

This morning I got up around 5:30am. I'm leading a study tonight at a friend's house and so I've had time to this morning to think over what I want to share with my sisters. Our weather cooled off yesterday and this morning it's still cool and the crickets sound so lovely. Something about this morning has reminded me of working at My Favorite Muffin in Clarkesville. I had to get up around 5:30am back then so I could be at the shop at 6am. We opened at 6:30. I was never the only one on the road but it always felt peaceful and fresh driving to the bakery. The baker was always at the shop before me. He would get there around 5am to start the days baking. I really loved that job. It was so simple and predictable but it was just a great job. The sun is just coming up here and it looks like a nice day is coming. This is our last full day with the Littletons here. They'll leave tomorrow night for their flights back to Thailand. I'll miss them.

going to the Mellen Center

I am so glad that I'm saved. I love having a Savior that gets me. A Savior that holds me and carries me and walks with me and cheers for me. A Savior that doesn't care that I'm weak and tired and so inclined to doubt but instead he gets excited in my weakness because then he can be best understood. I also love that he doesn't want me to be weak. So he gives me strength. I remember the first time Phil told me that he loved me. I felt shocked and astounded. That this guy that I thought was so awesome, loved me. And he told me! He didn't have to. He just couldn't help it. He loved me so much that he just had to let me know. And then there's my Savior. Jesus. He loves me. He loves me so much that he just had to tell me. He didn't have to love me but he does and he told me. He told me this morning, too. He keeps telling me over and over how much he loves me. Jesus loves me. I'm astounded.